Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Painting Tips

To start things off, my boss at Otis is leaving me alone in the office, so I am very sad. Here's a painting I did for her as a farewell gift (John drew the lovely kitten):



Here's my first attempt at an Art Lozzi background. IT IS POO. There's a million things wrong with it. The frisket was hard to control, I need to practice more to get the hang of it. The composition is off, because all the trees are too evenly spread out. The details on the trees are also too even and close together. The color and the way the tree stump was painted just blends in with the back elements etc. I NEED TO TRY AGAIN, pretty much. Which is good! Practice is good! And when it starts to come out better, it's fun!


After doing this, I emailed Art Lozzi for help, and advice. And look what he sent me back! I have to share this with you all:


John also wrote me some important things to remember while painting (these notes have been transfered from napkin, John's favorite writing recorder.)

GENERAL PRINCIPLES * CONCEPTS

SPECIFIC INSTANCE, EXAMPLE
-Be sure when copying a painting to take note of why something worked, not just copying it without taking in the concepts behind it. You can use those concepts in your own paintings, which is why you copy in the first place.

CONTROL + EYE
1) TECHNIQUE (BRUSH)
-Every stroke you lay down on the paper should be artisitic and look good.
2) COLOR THEORY
-Don't just use primaries and secondaries!
* COMBINE THEORY WITH EYE
-Theories don't always work in some instances, so trust your eye.

COLOR HARMONY- WHEN COLORS ARE RELATED


By the way! In less than a day you could own some of my paintings!!!

MARY BLAIR STUDY!
and
DREAMPET FOX!

John's Art Post!

Update:
I read something in a philosophy book just now that seems relevant to this post:

"The way in which man approaches his failure determines what he will become." -Jaspers

It's true! Thus, I am going to paint more tonight, makes sense, doesn't it?

21 comments:

pumml said...

Wow, Kali! This is a great post. That cat painting really shows how fast you're progressing! Very nice. I got inspired by John's Art Lozzi posts and started playing with sponge techniques as well. Very fun. I found that if there's still a little water in the sponge, or if the cel vinyl is too runny it doesn't work well. It's also easy to over-work the sponging and make a fuzzy mess.

Lester Hunt said...

Amazing, what high-quality advice you're getting! Good for you!

Max Ward said...

Jealousy ensues!!! First you are an awesome painter, and next you get advice from one of my favorite BG painters!! Argh!

Sean Worsham said...

You get better everytime I look at your paintings, excellent work puts a tear to my eye :).

Gabriel said...

shit, that cat is really awesome

Kevin Langley said...

Wow! That cat painting is incredible. My eyes popped out of my head. And by no means is your "Lozzi" background poo. If that's your first attempt at a new technique it's impressive. Thanks for sharing those notes from Art too, really valuable stuff.

Lester Hunt said...

Love that Jaspers quote! I hadn't seen it before.

If learning is by trial and error, then error is part of the system. It's not the system breaking down.

That's the right attitude, I think.

Josh "Just What the Doctor Ordered" Heisie said...

The background might need a little more work, but the cat painting is incredible!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Thanks everybody!!!

"The background might need a little more work, but the cat painting is incredible!"

Yeah I know! I'm so not used to doing backgrounds- but I definitely want to become more comfortable with them!!!

diego cumplido said...

thank you

diego cumplido said...

I actually like this detail:

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/7272/3717/1600/z/336907/gse_multipart26346.jpg

Kali Fontecchio said...

Thanks Diego!

Marlo Meekins said...

oh i didnt officially comment!!!

the cat face and texture is great! and thanks for sharing your secret painting tips from celebrity artists. (even though you are a celebrity yourself already)


i love you


you are cute

xo

LAteddy said...

Hey. I started a nice blogger as well. Check mine out. :D

Hammerson said...

That cat painting is stupefying! Really awesome work, I'm sooo impressed. Pretty good Lozzi-inspired background too, especially for the first attempt. You'll master this style very soon. Thanks for sharing Art's advices and tips.

david gemmill said...

nice work on the cat painting. i tried painting something recently and realized how horrible i am. maybe one day i can paint something decent.

keep
up
the great work.



its so hot right now.

fabiopower said...

you are incredible

Kali Fontecchio said...

"you are cute"

In a kitten sort of way- or like you're hot and bothered?

"Thanks for sharing Art's advices and tips."

Isn't he sweet? Yes!

"maybe one day i can paint something decent."

My recommendation- spend the extra dough for good paints- a world of difference!

"its so hot right now."

It's disgusting when blinking causes sweat.

"you are incredible"

AW! My head is exploding!

fabiopower said...

you inspire to me. If you don't believe me, then is better you can watch with your own eyes. My invitation is opened.
My warm greetings! :)

pd:all the attempts to improve, always are admirable. Sorry by the headache.

Bruce said...

Hello, Kali. Thank you for posting this information. I'm going to try these techniques for when I'm painting. Also, I was wondering if you look at my blog sometime. Thanks :P

Anonymous said...

kali is soooooo amazing!!! OMG my friend is going to be famous!!!
I love you
I Love you
I Love you
I Love you
I Love you

lol

Kari