Monday, May 2, 2011

Everything: Maude Macher Comes To Life


I was asked to do a segment for Channel 101's show Everything, and here is my contribution! It is starring my character Maude Macher. Here are the full credits:
Animation: David Gemmill, Kali Fontecchio
Background: Chris Whittier
Live Action Footage: Zach Zdziebko
Clean-Up/Inking: Kali Fontecchio
Coloring: Myke Chilian, Tommy Meehan, Kali Fontecchio
Special Effects: Jack Cusumano, Matt Danner
Editing: Nico Colaleo

Additional help from Stuart Livingston and Danny Jelinek

Thanks again to Jason Whetzell and Danny Jelinek for inviting me to contribute to their famous Channel 101 show (longest running show in 101 history too!) Here is the episode in its entirety:


The influences of this piece were Out of the Inkwell by Max Fleischer, and Duck Amuck by Chuck Jones. All my friends who worked on this helped make this a fun piece, without them it literally wouldn't exist.

If anyone was wondering the technical aspect here was my pipeline: thumbnail storyboards drawn on paper, rough animation drawn in Flash, every frame uniquely inked in Photoshop (to avoid that dead look of Flash and Illustrator). Colored in Photoshop, and edited in Final Cut. Special effects were crafted in After Effects, and the background was painted in Photoshop. The live action footage was shot with an HD Canon camera.

PS: all my roommates and I have a small cameo in this month's episode of Googy! And you might recognize the wolf boy too....

21 comments:

Damiano D said...

Awesome stuff, Kali! Loved whatever fluid that was pouring out of your eye!

MrGoodson2 said...

Great job! Great to see Maude in motion like that. Now you have pitch material. Thanks for all the technical detail too. It was like a DVD extra.

"Everything" is my favorite. Great to be a part of that.

I was watching something like Hulu, where they force you to watch a quick ad, and some product was advertised that completely cribbed the "Everything" style. I hit re-load so I could catch the ad again. And it was a new ad. It's out there somewhere.

Pedro Vargas said...

That was amazing!! I like Maude :)

Kali Fontecchio said...

Thanks! It was bunny-rainbow-flower juice. Blood just seemed too gory for my tastes.

Nico said...

I like the part where Maude has bad luck with boyfriends!

Tim said...

That was really good.

Mike said...

I have no words but YAY.

Stuart L said...

Awesome short dude, came out great! That was a really good Everything too, and not to steal your thunder, but the short that came before yours was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen

Kali Fontecchio said...

Ya it was really hilarious! I'm glad I was in it!!

Sandra Rivas said...

Fantastic!! Best thing I ever saw! I wish my blood made of rainbows and bunnies.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Very nice! Maud needs her own series!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Bunny rainbow blood is very rare.

Thanks Eddie! That'd be pretty cool!

Roberto Severino said...

Whoa! That was amazing, both Kali and David, if you're both reading this. Did David animate all the stuff between 0:04 and 0:17, by the way? It definitely looks like his style to me. He always draws eyes and pupils in a really distinct, fun way. I'm assuming you did all the other drawings.

Kali Fontecchio said...

David did most of the animation (I did the wink at the end alone). And some of it was rougher than other parts. So parts definitely look like his style more than mine, but the parts where he was looser looks more like my style. I loved cleaning up on this project even though it was super time consuming. I'm so happy with the result.

Ryan Green said...

Death by stylus would suck, but "Out of the Cintiq" was awesome!

fabiopower said...

Kalie, grettings from Chile from an old fan! remember me? a great hug and kisses!
FP

Quirko Germont said...

loved it! really

Mitch K said...

Out of the Cintiq is very cool!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Thank you!

Amanda H. said...

Fon-TECH-ee-oo? I thought it was pronounced Fon-Teh-Chee-Oh

Once I get home, I'll watch it. I'm at the library right now :/

Dan said...

Super fun! Was that Bob Clampett's voice at the end?