Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Film 101


I got the awesome opportunity to design artwork for the Channel 101 award statues for the 2011 Incredibly Prestigious Channy Awards! Julie Gollins built these amazing statues that actualy light up, no less, with my artwork representing each category. Considering it had to do with making films, I decided to have each award reference an early film star, creator or film.

ALSO! I decided to make it into a poster- get one here!


Each category left to right top row: Sexiest Moment, Best Writing, Best Supporting Actor, 2nd row Best Supporting Actress, Best Special Effects, Best Show, 3rd row Best Production Design, Best Actress, Best Actor, 4th row Best Editing, Best Failed Pilot, Best Director, bottom row Best Cinematography, Best Animation, and Best Action.





I chose Walt Disney and Mickey to represent animation. This is my first time drawing Walt too I realized.

Chose a sort of an unorthodox way to represent action with Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times. I think most people first think of fighting when they think of action, so I tried to convey it some other way.

Gone With the Wind seemed like the obvious choice for best production design, that movie is beautiful.

Citizen Kane is well-known for being on everyone's top film list, so it seemed synonymous with best show I thought.



Myke Chilian, Tommy Meehan, and Sevan Najarian won for McBusters! So they got to keep the Walt Disney the ones!




And here are some doodles:


10 comments:

Emily said...

These are freaking amazing, Kali! Great job! I love the color scheme too.

The Mush said...

Mickey's pretty damn cute. Great jOb

Pete Emslie said...

Kali, it's wonderful to see how you've evolved in the last several years as both a cartoonist and as a designer. This collection of movie-related images is marvelous! Glad to see that you were able to work in your beloved Buster as well! :)

Salomon Fenix said...

In that day is the awards? Kali

Matt Rasch said...

Always good to see some Lorre love...

Kali Fontecchio said...

Thanks Emily!

Thank you Mush!

Pete: Aw thanks, that means a lot coming from you :D And it's always fun to work in Buster (also his favorite writer Clyde Bruckman ;)

Salomon: ???

Matt: M is one of my favorite movies ever!!!

Hobo Divine said...

All of these are wonderful Kali!
I love the little girl (Sandman's little helper) on the cloud! Too much! :)
The posters have a great feel! I love the strong op/pop tone!
Thanks for sharing.

Kali Fontecchio said...

Thanks Hobo!!! <3

Pablo said...

Beautiful work!

Donna Angelo said...

Just happened upon your cool illustration of Walt and Mickey, I love it! I would gladly wear a thsirt with that design. I shared it in a Disney nerd page on Facebook, you're welcome.